Do you what should you avoid to get a healthy skin? The junk food we eat is the main cause of early wrinkle formation on the skin or ageing. The sun also plays a pivotal role in the ageing process. Sure sunscreen protects from the sun damage but what’s the point of it when you are consuming a boatload of junk.
Advanced glycation end products (AGE’s) are formed when protein combines with sugar. AGE’s are perhaps the main cause of wrinkly skin. This article brings to you the 10 food items with which you should always maintain an appropriate distance. Also, the substitute for each food item is mentioned as well.
10 Foods that we need to avoid to keep our skin healthy
1. FRENCH FRIES: French fries are the most satisfying junk food. It is fried and salty which is sodium-rich. Sodium accelerates wrinkle formation as it causes the skin to loosen up. Salt soaks up all the water which leads to dehydration which in turn results in wrinkly skin. A good substitute to French fries is the good old baked sweet potato.
2. WHITE BREAD: White bread contains refined carbs and when these meet protein, the resulting product is AGE. White bread has a significantly high glycemic index. The higher the glycemic index, the speedier is the ageing process. Eat multigrain bread as they have rich fiber content.
3. SUGAR: Sugar and salt are known as white poison. The ageing process speeds up when there is an excess of sugar in the body. Sun acts as a catalyst in this process. Therefore, substitute sugar with healthier options like honey.
4. MARGARINE: Butter and margarine cause damage to the skin from the inside. Once the damage has been done, the skin becomes vulnerable to UV radiation of the sun. Use olive oil instead of butter as it has a lesser concentration of Trans fats.
5. PROCESSED MEAT: Bacon, sausage, pepperoni, etc. are processed meat items and have high quantities of sodium, fatty acids, and sulfite. Inflammation is caused by sodium which dehydrates the skin. Go for beans, eggs, chicken, and turkey instead.
6. DAIRY: Dairy products are calcium rich and calcium is essential for skin, bones, and nails. The effect of dairy products is different on skins of different people. Stay away from it if it causes oxidative stress.
7. SODA AND COFFEE: Soda and coffee are potent sources of caffeine. If you drink any of these items frequently, it might adversely affect your sleep pattern. Poor sleep causes skin problems. Dark circles are one skin problem related to lack of sleep.
8. ALCOHOL MODERATION: No amount of booze is good for health. 1 or 2 drinks in a fortnight are more than enough. Make sure you drink plenty of water as alcohol reduces the water level in the body.
9. RICE CAKES: Rice cake is a good snack; this is a myth. Glycemic index is on the higher side in rice cakes which causes the blood sugar to shoot up. Replace rice cakes with chickpeas. They are full of antioxidants and make the skin glow.
10. FRUCTOSE: Artificial juices have large quantities of fructose in them. As a matter of fact, fructose is more harmful than sugar. If you can’t stay away from fructose, counter its side effects by consuming food items rich in lipoic acid like Brussels sprouts.
Junk foods are always tasty to eat. But when it comes to keep our skin healthy, we should avoid few foods for leading a healthy life & also to maintain our skin looks healthier and glowing. Book your appointment online & Consult with the Specialist of CureMantra.